Our BUSINESS CURRICULUM
Young people of today need to be prepared for the real working world. Business Enterprise prepares them for the economic, digital, fast-paced world they live in. Business pupils at Coopers learn how products and business systems work, the skills that businesses require to thrive and explore the IT skills within digital technologies that business rely on. Pupils learn and develop these skills with an understanding as to how they will help improve the world around them.
Pupils are introduced to business concepts and issues concerning the activities of a business. They explore the purpose and role of a business from spotting an opportunity through to the growth of an established business. They also look at the role of marketing and human resources.
Pupils take a closer look at the role of operations and finance in business activity. Operations include production processes, quality of goods and services, customer service, and working with suppliers. Finance covers its role, its sources, costs, profit and loss, cash and cash flow.
They also explore how business responds to external influences, such as ethical and environmental considerations, the economic climate and globalisation, and the interdependent nature of business.
Creativity and enterprise are both key elements when learning about Business. Business Studies draws, develops and implements a range of different disciplines, including mathematics, science, engineering, geography and art. The subject embeds high quality literacy skills through analysis and evaluation techniques.
Coopers Values: Trust, RESPECT, AND RESILIENCE
In Business, we develop trust by:
- Working together in class tasks and projects
- Presenting our business ideas to others
- Ensuring that our high expectations are met
In Business, we develop respect by:
- Listening to each other’s opinions
- Listening to business presentations from fellow pupils
- Giving constructive feedback to our peers and responding positively to feedback from our peers and teachers
In Business, we develop resilience by:
- Having a “can do” approach
- Not giving up on the first go
- Practising exam skills through regular retrieval practice
- Learning from mistakes and striving to improve
WHOLE SCHOOL INTENT: INCLUSIVE
In Business, we ensure our curriculum is inclusive by:
- Scaffold by personalising the learning based on individual pupil need
- Pupils are given the opportunity to create their own business idea as part of their course.
- Pupils have the opportunity to visit a local business
WHOLE SCHOOL INTENT: FOCUSED
In Business, we identify powerful knowledge and having a good understanding of it is a prerequisite for understanding other related content.
We share this with pupils and their families using Knowledge Organisers. These are valuable tools for revision and retrieval practice
WHOLE SCHOOL INTENT: SEQUENCED
In Business, we sequence our curriculum using spaced practice. This means large areas of knowledge are broken into smaller chunks, with intervals of time between them, to improve pupil learning and recall.
WHOLE SCHOOL INTENT: COHERENT
In Business, we ensure our curriculum is coherent by the use of Big Ideas that underpin all the learning in our subject. Each lesson is linked to a Big Idea, shared with the pupils at the start of the lesson, so they can call on prior learning and understand where each lesson fits within our curriculum.
Our Big Ideas are:
- Risk and Reward: The benefit and problem of starting a business.
- Satisfying stakeholders: How to satisfy people that have interest in a business.
- Operations: How goods and services are made and provided.
- Finance: How source and manage the money that businesses need to operate.
- External influence: Factors that affect a business that is not within its control.
- Enterprise: The existence to satisfy the needs of customers
Exam board OCR: GCSE Business Studies
Component 1 Business (01): Business activity, marketing and people (50%)
Exam paper: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Component 2 Business (02): Operations, finance and influences on business
Exam paper: 1 hour and 30 minutes